“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” ~ John Crosby
Interested in Mentoring?
The Mentoring Program was created to help students, recent graduates, and career changers to enter the technical communication industry. The program is also designed to help develop the next group of enthusiastic
and dedicated chapter leaders.
The mission of the mentoring program is to provide a structured approach by which mentors provide one-on-one assistance to mentees, helping them establish themselves in our profession.
How It Works
A veteran technical communicator is paired with a mentee in a short-term, project-based relationship intended to provide real-world working experience, strengthen the mentee’s candidacy in the local job market, and start the mentee’s professional network.
Potential mentors and mentees have a chance to meet 3-4 times per year at the meet-and-greet events. The mentoring committee pairs mentors and mentees based on the mutual desire to work together. The program spans three months, but mentors and mentees can choose to work together longer if desired.
- Gain personal satisfaction from helping others discover their potential.
- Enhance coaching, feedback, and leadership skills.
- Gain exposure to new perspectives from the mentee.
- Expand professional networks.
- Develop pieces for your professional portfolio.
- Develop a professional network.
- Receive career guidance and resume help.
- Increase visibility in the industry.
- Develop and enhance skills needed to move forward in your careers.