STC Carolina has hosted the annual Technical Communication Competition competitions for over 20 years. Submitters and judges alike have gained countless benefits from taking part in the competitions. These benefits can be yours, too, for a little time and effort!
If you want to participate, you can submit documentation from technical, scientific, medical, or similar content areas. The documentation can be informational, instructional, promotional, or user support. You’ve got tons of options! You could also improve a document in the “Before and After” category. This is a great opportunity for those new to the tech writing field to add to their portfolio.
Once you’ve done the hard work and sent off your entry, you will receive feedback on your writing from esteemed and seasoned technical communicators by the end of January, plus you’ll know if you’ll be honored at the awards banquet in March.
If you’ve never entered the competitions, here are 10 great reasons to consider it!
- Celebrate with other technical writers.
- Have something cool to Tweet about.
- Experience the amazing food at the Awards Banquet.
- See some of the best work our profession has to offer and get ideas from the Best in Show winner.
- Impress your next interviewer with an award-winning portfolio piece (especially if you’re a student).
- Inexpensively user-test your website, application, book, or document.
- Add a prestigious award to your resume.
- Justify to your leadership a budget increase, new headcount, or process change.
- Recognize and reward your team for their hard work.
- Get detailed feedback from experienced technical writers who are up-to-date with the latest best practices.
Adapted from a list written by STC Fellow Larry Kunz