Author: c.s.eftekhar Published At: Wed, Aug. 10, 2016 05:13 pm EDT Expires At: Thu, Aug. 10, 2017 05:13 pm EDT
Key Trends in Software User Assistance
- Where: TEKSystems in Raleigh, NC or virtually
- When: August 18, 2016, 6:00 pm
- Contact: email@example.com
About this EventWriting concisely is one of the fundamental skills central to any mobile user assistance. The minimal screen real estate can’t support large amounts of text and graphics without extensive gesturing by the users. Using small font sizes just makes the information unreadable unless the user pinches and stretches the text.
Even outside of the mobile space, your ability to streamline your content improves the likelihood it will be effectively consumed by your target audience.
This session offers a number of examples and techniques for reducing the footprint of your prose while maintaining a quality message. The examples used are in the context of mobile UA but can be applied to any technical writing situation.
You will learn:
- How research shows the problems with overly complex text in small-screen and mobile environments.
- How Simplified Technical English and Plain English can improve your writing.
- How aggressive redesign of traditional writing styles can significantly reduce word count and improve readability.
About the PresenterJoe Welinske specializes in helping your software development effort through crafted communication. The best user experience features quality words and images in the user interface. The UX of a robust product is also enhanced through comprehensive user assistance. This includes Help, wizards, FAQs, videos and much more. For over twenty-five years, Joe has been providing training, contracting, and consulting services for the software industry. Joe recently published the book, Developing User Assistance for Mobile Apps. He also teaches courses for Bellevue College, the University of California, and the University of Washington. Joe is an Associate Fellow of STC.