Author: lrmeyer747 Published At: Wed, Sep. 05, 2012 02:05 am EDT Expires At: Fri, Oct. 05, 2012 02:05 am EDT
1. Technical Editing SIG and STC Carolina Chapter Joint Meeting September 13
The Technical Editing SIG will join with STC Carolina for a meeting on Textbook Editing with Laura Poole on Thursday, September 13 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. EDT. If you have ever considered textbook editing (or writing) as an option in your career, you will find out about the details, skills, and concepts that go into creating a textbook. Laura will discuss how textbooks differ from general interest nonfiction, technical documents, user manuals, and other materials. She will also discuss core concepts that would help anyone in crafting a useful,
effective textbook. Many of these skills and ideas can be applied in other publications as well.
For more information and to register, go to http://www.stc-carolina.org/Joint+Meeting+with+Technical+Editing+SIG%3A+Textbook+Editing or use the following link:
2. Chapter Competitions - Early Bird Submission Deadline September 28Have you or your company produced technical communication products that you think are worthy of awards? Would you like your work to be recognized by your peers? Are you working in a Lone Writer situation and looking for feedback on how you're doing? Have you been documenting the same kinds of products for a while, and want to see what other people are doing?
STC competitions offer an excellent way for you and your team to get recognition for your technical publication, help system, training, or any other form of technical communication. Submit your entries by September 28 for an early bird discount. The final deadline for all entries is October 23. For more information, visit the Submitter's Corner page at http://www.stc-carolina.org/Submitter+Corner.
You can also serve as a judge. You assess different types of work, and see how other technical communicators handle explaining difficult concepts. Being a judge is always a learning experience. For more information, visit the Judges' Corner page at http://www.stc-carolina.org/Judge+Corner, and sign up for the event on November 3.
For general information about the competitions, including a schedule and contact information, go to http://www.stc-carolina.org/Competitions.
3. Invite Colleagues to the STC TryoutThe STC Tryout is an opportunity for current members to invite colleagues and friends to experience STC at a fraction of the cost of an annual membership. Under this program, new members receive all STC benefits for the rest of 2012 for 67% off the annual membership cost. Plus, STC will credit each new member's account that same amount toward next year's full-year dues! The tryout will pay for itself with the renewal alone.
What's in it for you?
You are the greatest testimony to the benefits of being an STC member. By recruiting others, you will:
- Expand your network of technical communication professionals
- Strengthen STC: A vital and growing membership means greater recognition of the technical communication profession, improved educational and networking opportunities for members, and the advancement of technical communication worldwide
- Help others succeed in their careers
- Receive recognition for your recruitment efforts
- Enter into a drawing to win a free 2013 STC membership!
For more information and to enter, visit the STC web site:
4. Welcome, New Members!If you've just joined, welcome to the STC Carolina Chapter! We're an active chapter, so please check out our web site at the following link:
You can find our upcoming events on our web site's chapter calendar. There are many opportunities to get involved, and we encourage you to participate in th=e events planned throughout the year. Generally, we hold membership meetings on the third Thursday of each month. You can also follow us on social media:
- LinkedIn: http://stc-carolina.org/LinkedIn
- Twitter: http://stc-carolina.org/Twitter
- Facebook: http://stc-carolina.org/Facebook
- Google Plus: http://stc.carolina.org/GooglePlus
- My STC: http://stc-carolina.org/mystc
If you have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to contact the chapter leadership. We're here to help you reap the benefits of membership in this dynamic organization. Contact us at http://www.stc-carolina.org/Leadership.
Our award-winning, online publication. Check out the latest articles or subscribe via email...
- Mythbusters: Technical Communication Edition
- September Sponsor Spotlight
- August and September Social Recaps
- August 2015 Chapter Meeting Summary: Suzanne Mescan on Component Content Management Systems
- In With the New: Welcome Lindsay Saunders