Author: lrmeyer747 Published At: Mon, Mar. 26, 2012 04:01 pm EDT Expires At: Mon, Apr. 02, 2012 04:01 pm EDT
April 2012 Announcements
1. Register today for the annual Awards Banquet!Today is the LAST DAY to register for the STC Carolina Chapter's premier event of the year, the Awards Banquet at Prestonwood Country Club on March 29 at 6:00 p.m. We will honor the winners of the 2011-12 competitions and introduce the new STC honorees.
This is a gala affair with early cocktails, elegant dinner and dessert, and tables full of great company. Attire is business casual (no blue jeans). Don't miss this unique opportunity to see up-close some of our industry's best work. It's also a great way to support your peers.
Entree: Apricot Glazed Stuffed Chicken or Chevre & Spinach Stuffed Zucchini (vegetarian)
Dessert: Preston Pie
A special thanks goes out to our hospitality sponsor, TPS, for their continued support.
2. April program meeting: Ten Techniques for Increasing Interactivity in TrainingPlease join us for "Ten Techniques for Increasing Interactivity in Training" with Dr. Joel Gendelman of Future Technologies. While this program focuses specifically on training, these techniques can also be applied to presentations. So if you're scheduled to speak at this year's STC Summit, this program is for you!
Interaction is critical to successful training. We are social animals and we typically enjoy working with others. These interactions also encourage doing. Both interacting and doing provide your attendees with opportunities to internalize the information in your virtual training and make it their own. This is easier when all parties are in the same room; it’s a bit more difficult when they are not. That is why you need to attend this session. It will provide you with solid strategies to:
- Move beyond polling
- Imagine innovative interactions and make them happen
- Create planted questions
- Employ virtual icebreakers and other games
Networking begins at 6:00. The program and webinar will begin at 6:30. The chapter thanks our sponsors, TPS and SDI, for their continued support in providing refreshments and facilities for our meetings.
3. STC Carolina Volunteer Opportunity: Call for Nominations to Director-at-Large PositionsThe STC Carolina Chapter, a recipient of the 2012 Community of Excellence award, currently has openings for two new directors-at-large to serve on the Administrative Council from July 2012 through June 2013. The admin council is responsible for leading the chapter and organizing chapter activities. The time required is about 8-10 hours per month, including time spent at meetings:
- One admin council meeting each month (held virtually via GoToMeeting)
- One membership meeting each month (either a formal program or a social event)
In years past, directors were elected to traditional offices or functional positions. Under our new bylaws, the chapter is adopting the director-at-large model used by the Society to give us flexibility in assigning responsibilities based on the chapter's current needs.
Here is a summary of the responsibilities of the five directors-at-large in the upcoming term.
- Programming: Secure speakers, locations, refreshments, and other logistical arrangements for monthly membership meetings.
- Membership: Promote membership in the chapter, recruit new members, welcome new members into the chapter, and arrange to check in members at chapter meetings.
- Communications: Send out the chapter announcements, administer the listserv, and update the chapter calendar.
- Publicity: Use web tools such as Eventbrite and GoToMeeting to allow attendees to register for meetings, and help publicize meetings through social media.
- Technology: Update and maintain the website, including news items and upcoming events.
If you're interested in volunteering, please contact Dan Riechers at vicepresident at stc-carolina dot org. If you have questions about the director-at-large role, please contact Andrea Wenger at president at stc-carolina dot org.
The chapter is only as strong as its volunteers. With your help, we hope to become a Community of Distinction in 2013!
4. Welcome, New Members!If you've just joined, welcome to the STC Carolina Chapter! We're an active chapter, so please check out our website at the following link. You can find our upcoming events in the calendar on our home page.
There are many opportunities to get involved, and we encourage you to participate in the events planned throughout the year. Generally, we hold membership meetings on the third Thursday of each month. You can also follow us on social media:
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=21047
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/stc_carolina
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2405569345
If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact the chapter leadership:
We're here to help you reap the benefits of membership in this dynamic organization.
Our award-winning, online publication. Check out the latest articles or subscribe via email...
- Sponsor Spotlight: TEKsystems
- State of the Chapter 2016
- STC 2016 Election Guide
- Elizabeth O'Neill, Candidate for STC Nominating Committee
- Becky Todd, Candidate for STC Nominating Committee