Author: lrmeyer747 Published At: Mon, Oct. 03, 2011 10:39 pm EDT Expires At: Sat, Nov. 12, 2011 10:39 pm EST
1. SpeedCon: An Unconference on CommunicationThe STC Carolina chapter and the NC State SIGDOC chapter are presenting an unconference on communication on Saturday, October 29 from 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Talley Center on the NC State campus.
There is no cost to attend, but you must register in advance. See the SpeedCon Unconference page for details.]:
SponsorsSpecial thanks to our sponsors:
2. "Facebook Got Me Fired": An STC Carolina Foothills and STC Clemson, Joint EventJoin STC Carolina's Foothills region and the STC Clemson student chapter on Saturday, November 5 for "Facebook Got Me Fired: How Social Media Can Make or Break Your Career," presented by Robert Rhyne Armstrong. We will network over a catered dinner from 5:30-6:30 p.m., then hear about upcoming opportunities with the Society for Technical Communication from 6:30-6:45 p.m.
See the Facebook Got Me Fired page for details.
3. Call for Entries: Chapter CompetitionsTechnical communicators, we invite you to submit your work to the 2011-2012 STC Carolina Competitions. The annual STC competitions provide an excellent way for you and your team to get recognition for your technical publication, online help, tutorials, newsletters, and other forms of technical communication.
Competition entries must be received by
For information about submitting entries (including entry forms and
instructions), visit: http://www.stc-carolina.org/tiki-index.php?page=Submitter+Corner
Sign up and pay your entry fee online at:
4. Competition Judges, Sign Up Now!Ready to participate in our one-day Competitions Training and Judging Day? This year, the competitions training and judging will be held _on the same day._ We hope you'll find this format more convenient and productive.
On Saturday, November 12th, 2011 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., all judges will meet for a brief training session. We'll talk about what to consider as you evaluate an entry and how to give the most helpful feedback. And as your team evaluates entries together, you'll get an idea of how to work as a group and decide on an award. It’s an easy way to ask questions as you’re examining entries and to network with judges on other teams.
In addition to serving breakfast foods and beverages, we'll provide a catered lunch from Babymoon Café. Choose from a variety of sandwich and salad box lunches.
For more information and a schedule, visit
To register, complete the registration form at http://2011carolinajudges.eventbrite.com/.
5. Welcome, New Members!If you've just joined, welcome to the STC Carolina Chapter! We're an active chapter, so please check out our website at the following link:
You can find our upcoming events on our website's chapter calendar. There are many opportunities to get involved, and we encourage you to participate in the events planned throughout the year. Generally, we hold membership meetings on the third Thursday of each month. You can also follow us on social media:
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=21047
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/stc_carolina
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2405569345
If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact the chapter leadership. We're here to help you reap the benefits of membership in this dynamic organization.
Our award-winning, online publication. Check out the latest articles or subscribe via email...
- State of the Chapter 2016
- STC 2016 Election Guide
- Elizabeth O'Neill, Candidate for STC Nominating Committee
- Becky Todd, Candidate for STC Nominating Committee
- Lori Meyer, Candidate for STC Nominating Committee